Out and About in L.A.: Classic Moviegoing
Communication Arts + Design PR attended a screening of Charlie Chaplin’s “City Lights” (1931) at the historic Los Angeles Theatre on Saturday, June 13, part of the Los Angeles Conservancy’s “Last Remaining Seats” series.
The last and most ornate of Broadway’s great movie palaces, the Los Angeles was constructed for independent film exhibitor H.L. Gumbiner. The grand opening was on January 30, 1931, which opened with “City Lights.” Many celebs and VIPS attended, and Albert Einstein was Chaplin’s guest of honor. S. Charles Lee, who had designed the nearby Tower Theatre for Gumbiner in 1927, was the architect. From the elaborate terrazzo sidewalks outside the entrance to the stage curtain decorated with three-dimensional figures, the Los Angeles Theatre demonstrates Lee’s axiom, “the show starts at the sidewalk.”
This is the 29th season of the series, which holds classic film screenings in our city’s historic theatres throughout the month of June. Also showing this month are “How to Marry a Millionaire” (1953), “Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory” (1971), and “Raiders of the Lost Ark” (1981).